I wanted this to be one of my first posts because it’s something that is important to me. It’s something that affects over 14 million in the United States ALONE! This is a topic that is not widely known or discussed.
What is it?
Rosacea starts as redness. For many, that’s all it ever amounts to. For others, it can lead to swelling, skin thickening, and a bumpy texture among other things. There are 4 different Subtypes as of now. Subtype 1: Having facial redness, flushing, and visible blood vessels.
What causes it?
Scientist still don’t know! It’s frustrating. Through trial and error and open discussion, I believe we can find ways to improve it though. It is more common in Women between 30-50. With that said, I have it and know plenty of younger women who have it as well. They think it’s genetic possibly or that the immune system plays a role in it. For now, it’s open for debate.
How it affects you:
People may think it just causes some blushing or redness, not a big deal. That’s not always the case. I know for me personally, it makes me want to not go out and do things that might make me flare up. It dampens millions of people’s self esteem. I think becoming more knowledgable of your skin and taking care of it is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
There are a lot of different reasons for a flare up. A flare up can vary on different levels as well. For myself, my whole face can go red and it STINGS! It can heat up in an instant, but take hours to cool down and is truly uncomfortable sometimes. I’ve noticed things that make it worse:
Chemicals on my face (like fake tanning lotion)
Very spicy food
How to treat it
Like I said, there is no known cure BUT you can treat it. Staying out of the sun is highly recommend from dermatologists. As well as using products that are for sensitive skin. Talking with your dermatologist is always a great idea!
Everyone is different but here are some things that help me:
- Cetaphil Face Wash (Life changing find and so nice to my skin!)
- Julep Hydrating Cleaning Oil (If you have dry skin especially you will love this! It is so soft and leaves my skin with a beautiful glow. I love it with their Konjac sponges!)
- Witch Hazel Toner (This might be too strong for your skin so test it out first! It is great for me to take off my make-up. I am going to look for other things to try as well though. Currently, I love “SheaTerra Organics Rose Water Witch Hazel Facial Toner)
- Origins, A perfect world Age Defense Moisturizer with White Tea SPF 40 (Wow, what a long name. I have never loved a lotion more and I have tried a TON. It is pricey but worth it, wait for those GWP sales!)
- Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil (This you can buy at the grocery store, I use it ALL OVER my body after my shower. You may feel oily at first but your skin will thank you!)
I hope you found this useful! I would LOVE to hear what you use and love for those with sensitive skin or Rosacea! Leave a comment below!